Sunday, December 23, 2012

Our education system and the widening gaps

A few days ago, I wrote about the cost and the implications of not investing in our education system.  On the cover of today's New York Times, Jason DeParle wrote a piece about the gap widening between high- and low-income students.  Greg J. Duncan, an economist at the University of California, Irvine, was quoted as saying, "Everyone wants to think of education as an equalizer - the place where upward mobility gets started, but on virtually every measure we have, the gaps between high- and low-income kids are widening.  It's very disheartening."

There are a whole host of reasons that contribute to this.  From my first in the series of these education posts, I surmised that teaching to the test is having significant unintended consequences.  I discussed the lack of developing our children's creativity and problem solving skills.  There is another way that teaching to the test is creating deficiencies in our schools.  The rise of charter schools, vouchers, and the like are siphoning motivated kids from the public schools.  The original intent of charter schools -to bring innovation to the public school system was admirable.  However, because funding is dependent on test scores, public schools are seeing their funding decrease due to being left with a greater proportion of students requiring greater resources (such as ESL, special needs, etc.).  Diane Ravitch wrote a book about this called The Death and Life of the Great American School System:  How Testing and Choice are Undermining Education.  As we are seeing across so many areas of our society, the chasm between the have's and the have-not's is creating significant implications.  Sean Reardon, a sociologist at Stanford, said in Mr. DeParle's article, "It's becoming increasingly unlikely that a low-income student, no matter how intrinsically bright moves up the socioeconomic ladder.  What we're talking about is a threat to the American dream."  Sound familiar?  I noted the same sentiment in my last post from Condeleeza Rice and Joel Klein's task force.  Our education system is threatening our national identity and the belief in the America dream - the chance that everyone has equal opportunity.


I come from an extreme place of privilege, and I recognize that it is easy for me to sit on my very own laptop, having received a top education, expounding on the state of our education system.  While I had financial aid - both work study and student loans - they did not cripple me.  It was a tough period for my parents, but they handled it with such grace and discretion that my sister and I never fully knew how tough it was.  I can not imagine the hurdles that so many students have to face just to get a fair shot.

I believe in the power of this country.
I believe in our ability to change, evolve, and learn from our mistakes.  
I believe that if we focus on education, we ALL win.
I believe that no one person has all of the answers, but if enough of us try, we just might turn this aircraft carrier.
I believe in EVERYONE's potential.
Call me an idealist.
********
Thank you for letting me interrupt my "regularly scheduled programming" for this 3-part essay on the state of our education and some of the connections I see.  I will return to the personal paths and destinations of some of the people around us.  I hope you'll be surprised, delighted, and maybe even learn a thing or two about your own journey.

From time to time, I might get struck by the urge to pontificate about various topics.  I hope you'll stick with me and join in the conversation because your voice adds richness and perspective that is good for us all to hear.

Happy Holidays and I shall return soon!  May 2013 be filled with much joy and laughter.  I will leave you with these two questions:

1.  How can we begin to address our education system?
2.  What is one, small act you can make to help?

No comments:

Post a Comment